Thursday, April 23, 2015

Scars

I couldn't help but stare at the two vertical scars under both of her eyes, each about an inch in length.  They were quite faded, telling me that she has lived with them for many years. They were not her only scars, evidenced by the others she showed me on her arms and shoulders.  When I asked how she and countless other women received these marks, I heard a chilling answer.  "We are branded," she said, "because we belonged to the priest."

Later that night I laid in bed.  It is hot here in Ghana, and the nighttime temperature was barely below 80 degrees .  The power had gone off, so there was no fan all night, and tiny bed bugs were biting my ankles.  Needless to say, I was neither happy nor comfortable.  Yet as I lay awake feeling miserable, wishing only to sleep, all I could see were the scars.  I envisioned small boys and girls suffering as slaves, and young women being sexually exploited to appease the "gods." I realized that my suffering was small and inconsequential compared to theirs.

Ritual servitude is real, and is carried out today right here in eastern Ghana.  I visited the shrines, but more importantly I saw the scars.  ECM is committed to liberating children and women like the ones I met today from this horrendous life, and giving them new life in Christ.  Our New Life Center is one of two centers in eastern Ghana that seek to bring the good news of Jesus to hurting girls and women.  For it is by His scars that our scars are healed (Isaiah 53:5).

Click here to read more about ritual servitude and to get involved in stopping it!

No comments:

Post a Comment