Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Haven of Hope

Haven of Hope kids receiving gifts and letters from sponsors.  A very happy day!

Experience tell us that we can live about a month without food and a few days without water, but it’s hard to live even a day without hope.  Every day we exist requires some type of hope; hope for another meal, hope for happiness and friendship, hope for something greater and more sustaining than anything this world has to offer.  A few days ago I finally had the opportunity to meet all the amazing children and staff of Haven of Hope Academy.  Though it was past the bedtimes of many of the children, they all gathered in the dark solitude to sing me a joyous welcome song as I came through the gate.  This morning I worshipped with them, ate lunch with them, and had the wonderful opportunity to help distribute cards, letters, and gifts from sponsors, which I had carried with me from Indiana.  I was blessed by their smiling faces, laughs, and words of thanks. 

But at a deeper level, I was moved by the hope I saw in their eyes.  I have too often seen despair and hopelessness in the eyes of children who like these children, have been mistreated and even abandoned by the world.  To see that hope in their eyes tells me that this place surely is a haven of hope.  I am grateful to everyone who has had or continues to have a part in nurturing these children, and to those who care for children in other places in Ghana and other countries in Africa.  Thank you for bringing hope where there once was only despair and pain.  Your partnership does make a difference.


If you have not yet helped bring hope in the face of despondency, won’t you start now?   ECM will make it easy for you – all you need to do is call us or visit our website.  Join with us to bring the hope of Jesus to a world desperately in need of a savior!

Now that's a happy face!
Praising God in church
Another happy face!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting these updates! Oh how i miss these kids; they've grown soooo much!! Is that Osmanu in the last picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mariam, I am pretty sure that is Osmanu. I had to double check to make sure, but I do think that is him.

      Delete